"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain


Wednesday, December 5, 2012

That Bird Stole My Corn Dog

So I got a ticket to go to California for Thanksgiving to see my sister and brother-in-law and her new baby bump!! That's right!! I'm going to be an auntie! So I packed up, had everything ready and took my suit case to work. I was going to walk to the metro and get to work that way but then I realized I only had one charger for my cell phone and had to abruptly turn around and get the second one! Can't fly across the US without the plug in charger for your phone you know.......So I took a cab to work. 

I was so excited to get off work! I rolled my suit case up to the punch clock, punched out, and sat. And sat. Turns out that of course when you allow plenty of time for something you don't need it and when you don't have plenty of time you need it. But I'm not complaining! This shuttle driver actually drove reasonably well. It was a beautiful Thanksgiving morning! We drove by the monument and capitol on the way to the airport. I love seeing those sites, doesn't matter when.

So I get to the airport, have a wonderful breakfast and get on the plane. Let me clarify I'm going from DC to Sacramento. My first layover wasn't for 5 hours. I thought I had gotten a window seat so I sat in the window seat in my row. Turns out I did not have the window seat. I was pleasantly reminded by the ticket holder of the window seat that it was not in fact my seat. So I sat in the isle seat with a crooked neck and tried to sleep. My layover in Phoenix was fairly anti-climactic. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving burrito while waiting for my next flight.

I got to Sacramento and waited for my sister to come pick me up. I was soooo excited! It was so good to see her and Panda (that's what I'm calling the baby). We went to Bob and Wendy's house and had Thanksgiving dinner. It was so good to see them! I haven't seen them in like 2 years!



So one of the not-perks to working nights is switching to days immediately when you want to go see people. I was so exhausted from so little sleep on the plane that I was out by like 10:30 that night. However...I woke up at 1 and then at 3 and couldn't fall back asleep. So I finally got up and went downstairs to watch a tv show on my phone. I was catching up on Private Practice when Wendy came downstairs. I should preface this by saying I love being in the dark so I was watching my show in the dark. When I saw Wendy I said "Don't be alarmed, I'm awake and here." Well it didn't work. I still alarmed her even with my calm demeanor. She wasn't exactly expecting someone to be awake and downstairs that early. So we had some coffee, I finished my show and went upstairs around 6 am thinking maybe I would be able to fall asleep. Well that thought ended when Danielle said "What the heck are you doing?" as I snuck back into the bedroom. So I fessed up that I'd been up half the night and we decided to just go shop.

I won't drone on about Black Friday shopping. But we did have fun, went back home and took a nap. That night Danielle, Lisa and I went to see the new Twilight movie. I had already seen it and if you've already seen it....let me tell you it's fantastic to watch someone else watch it for the first time!!

I'll skip ahead to getting back to San Fran. We got back into town Saturday night, Sunday was church, lunch and some shopping. Monday I rented a car and went back to Sacramento and got my walk through nursing license. And the best part of that was getting to go see my friend Priscilla who was a fellow traveler I met at Yale! We had a wonderful afternoon catching up.


Tuesday I rode into the city with Danielle early in the morning. Catching BART with the morning crew is always a joy. Danielle and I went to Starbucks and started the day right. So we order and I ask the guy if I can have a "green stick thing" and I'm quickly told (in good humor of course) that it's a light saber. I told the barista that I was more of a Trekkie (and of course I made the Spock hand sign) and he smiled and said "Okay, okay....it's your life long and prosper." So I chuckled back and politely asked for a "live long and prosper" for my coffee.

I walked Danielle to work and continued on my way to Pier 1 to see the Bay Bridge and the water. I got plenty of pictures along the way of course. So then I made my way down to Fisherman's Wharf. There was a big tree there that was beautiful. It was so early that a lot of the shops weren't even open yet. I was starting to get kind of hungry so I walked by a place that was selling corn dogs. What a perfect mid-morning snack! So I get my corn dog and headed down to see Alcatraz from afar. I sat my corn dog down to take some pictures and then these 2 Aussies offered me to look through their viewfinder that still had some time  on it. How nice of them! So I walk away from my corn dog to look in the viewfinder and the Aussie yells "He stole your corn dog!!" I turn around to see my entire (minus the one bite I took) corn dog in that stupid birds mouth. He took it to the water and gulped it away. So I pull out my camera, barely get a picture of the stick still in its mouth and go back to the viewfinder that now has no time left in it. The Aussies felt terrible! The mom said "Oh no! We ruined someones day!" In the midst of my laughing at the fact that my corn dog had just been stolen I assured her it was fine and that it would make a fantastic facebook status.



I think my other proud moment that day was finding a tea store that I had always wanted to go to in NYC and charging my phone outside of Macy's while looking at the huge tree in front of Macy's.

The rest of my visit was great, I won't even go into the fact that my sister wanted to make a pregnancy banner with letters cut out of white lace fabric that I cut out while she was sleeping through ELF. Not even going to bring that up.

So I was supposed to fly out that Wednesday. I woke up early and took Danielle to BART and then went back to sleep some more since I had a long day ahead of me. So I woke up, got ready, and couldn't open the trunk. So after fiddling with that I put the suit case in the back seat and got ready to leave. Only the car wouldn't turn over....or on....or whatever. So I had called dad and finally after about 10 minutes got the car to start. I was afraid I drained the battery....not that I've done that before.....

So I get to BART and there's NO WHERE to park! Of course there's not! Oh well. So after driving around for 15 minutes I finally find a parking spot. Granted I had to go around the front of the car because there wasn't enough room to walk around the side. SO I took a picture of where I parked so Danielle could find the car.

I got to BART just in time, I actually carried my suit case up a couple of escalator steps to make it. So I ride BART to Embarcadero to drop the car key off to Mike. The only problem is that I didn't realize my Embarcadero stop was coming up so I jumped up, grabbed my carry on, suit case, and phone and was on my way up the escalator and it hits me....I LEFT MY COAT ON BART!!! I was so disappointed. I hope my coat is clothing someone who needed it. So I drop the key off with Mike and ride to the airport.

I get to the airport to find out that I couldn't check in because my flight had been delayed a couple times. So long story short, I made some calls and ended up getting a flight the next day. So I got back on BART, went and dropped my luggage off at Mike's Hyatt and walked around the city for a while. It was nice to have another night with Danielle and Mike. We posted their announcement to facebook that night and just relaxed. What a great trip!!

The trip back was uneventful thankfully, though the morning did start at 0430. More to follow on the Panda and upcoming adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment